View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Resealable jug for mixed paint? 

Unread post Resealable jug for mixed paint?
I am going to be mixing Reel Creations (Oola green) and I need a container that is 100% secure and won't dry or mess up the $$$$ paint.

Most of my google and amazon searches are coming up with small 2oz makeup bottles.

Suggestions please? I may simply not be phrasing my searches correctly.

Thank you! :)

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:35 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Resealable jug for mixed paint?
Hi,

I keep my mixed paint in the original Reel Creations bottles. First, because I already know that they're great, leak-proof bottles. And, I've found that it's better to keep my paint in multiple smaller bottles rather than one larger container. That way if there is a disaster (leaking bottle, dropped bottle, knocked over bottle), then you're only losing a fraction of the paint rather than all of it! When traveling to a convention I pack the bottles in ziplock bags so that if there is a leak, the paint is still contained and recoverable.

After putting the mixed paint in the bottles, I mark them with a Sharpie so I'll know which mix is in the bottle, both on the side and on the top of the lid. After years of Twi'lek costuming, I have a whole assortment of old bottles with labels such as "Aayla Mix" and "Shado Blue." I also make sure to keep a "recipe" card in my paint box so that I can make that particular mix again later on if I need to. Otherwise, six months later I'm wondering, "Did I put in four ounces of white... or was it five...."

Pam :-)

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I only have the two 8oz bottles of green and yellow I bought and mixing them together for oola will make more paint than will fit in just a single bottle. :S So how do you do it...pour out all the paint into something, then mix it, then pour it back - half in one bottle half in the other?

This stuff is so scary and expensive :cry:

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

Yup, that's exactly what I do. I use a glass measuring cup which is easy to clean and has a good pour spout. The colors are usually too dark, so I mix them with white. I always mix up a large batch of paint, which I use for three or four events before I have to buy more. It's expensive up front... but you save quite a bit in the long run since you're not paying for shipping charges over and over with smaller purchases if you costume as a Twi'lek very often. I pour the paint into the measuring cup, stopping to test the color each time I pour in some more paint. Body paint gets darker as it dries, so I paint a little bit on my forearm and dry it with a hairdryer to check the color. I also write down how much of each color I pour into the measuring cup, so I can make more later on if I need to. When I have the color mixed the way I want it, I pour it in the empty bottles and then use a Sharpie to label each bottle so I'll know what mix is inside. This is more difficult the first time you make some paint since you don't have extra bottles... but after the first paint job, you'll have 'em!

Pam :-)

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Before I had posted this topic I had sent an RC email and guess what they are totally going to send me some empty jugs for free! Totally unexpected and wonderful. I love them.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm

RC are fantastic to work with :) I do still buy their color pots for easy customs and airline clearance :) But they have always been very responsive and very good at customer care :)

Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]