View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Airbrush and Compressor Sources 
Site Admin

Unread post Airbrush and Compressor Sources
Share your sources for airbrush supplies here!

This is where I got my airbrush compressor. I chose the Testors Aztek Blue Mini compressor because it is compact and has the fewest protrusions that might get broken (or break something else) in my luggage. It has flown all over the country with me for years now, and I haven't had any problems with it!

Hobby Link: http://www.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/airbrush-.htm

Blue Mini Compressor: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes50204.htm

I have a great double-action airbrush that I use for painting props. When I'm just painting myself, though, I don't think it's necessary to have something that fancy. It's difficult to work the double-action controls when you're contorted around, trying to paint the back of your arm or your lower back. A double-action airbrush can also cause problems when you have to call in someone to assist you with the areas that you can't reach. You don't want to have an airbrush that is too complicated... they might not know how to use it, and you'd end up with paint splotches. So, for body paint I always use a single-action airbrush. It's easier to use, and, since it's cheaper... you can get two so that a spare is always on hand in case one clogs up in the middle of a paint session. (For those who are unfamiliar with airbrushes, a single-action airbrush has a simple button system. You push the button, and paint comes out. Double action airbrushes also have a button, but to make them work you first push the button down (which releases only air), and then you pull the button back in order to begin spraying paint. It allows for greater control of the paint lines and thickness, but takes more experience to use well.)

This is the airbrush that I use: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tesa2203.htm

I also have a small paint gun, but I haven't used it enough to really give a fair report yet. It speeds up the painting time, but I've noticed that it tends to spray the body paint on a bit thicker than a standard airbrush, so you have to be really careful with it. The thicker you apply body paint, the more likely it is to crack and/or rub off. Thin is best!

Pam :-)

Sat May 29, 2010 3:45 am
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Airbrush and Compressor Sources
The 40 lb air pressure cap doesn't hinder you at all? I find that I need nearly that much for my liquid airbrush Mehron paints. Usually I work with Ben Nye liquids though, so this may be a problem with the Mehron brand.

It looks like an amazing little workhorse compressor, though, I may order one for travel once I finalize my ink decisions.

Sat May 29, 2010 4:02 am
Profile WWW

Ah. Thanks for posting this. I'd been wondering where to get a compressor I could haul around to use. :)

Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

My airbrush is a dual action Badger 150-5 and the compressor is a Whirlwind Badger 180-10. It is 9lbs and has max pressure of 43 psi. I bought both from Michaels on seperate occasions using a 50% off coupon each time. Michaels gives a 40% coupon each time you make a purchase no matter how small and they honor coupons from Joanns. I plan to get a single action airbrush from Michaels with a coupon of course. :)

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:18 pm

So would it be a bad idea to use a regular Air compressor not a mini one? I'm trying to figure out everything I would need to brush me purply :D

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You can definitely use a regular air compressor... you just need to have a good pressure regulator and a water trap on the line. I've used our big compressor in the garage for painting props and ship models with my airbrush, and it works just fine.

Pam :-)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 pm

@Pam Wow....hmmm... a "good pressure regulator" & "water trap" is this something I buy?

I've been trying to figure out what the heck I'll need. I've got to figure out what type I have I suppose.

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 am
Profile WWW

Has anyone tried the Dinair airbrush kit? I've been doing a little research on different airbrushes and this company claims to have "created" the airbrush makeup technique. The cheapest one ($200 for the compressor, metal airbrush and some cosmetic makeup) is single action but the compressor has an adjustable PSI. We own a Mighty Mini Testors airbrush but i have yet to test out. It seems so cheap so I'm looking into something new for the near future.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 am
Site Moderator

The airbrush and airbrush makeup technique are over a century old. I'd take that claim with a grain of salt. As for the specific product, I'm afraid I know nothing.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 am
Profile WWW

This is very helpful info, I thought airbrushes were much more expensive but it seems they are affordable and easy to use once you practice? Perhaps once I am settled in a new place with more room, I'll have a chance to experiment with this method, but good to have this expertise from everyone.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next