View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Body Paint Reviews 

Unread post Re: Body Paint Reviews
Thank you Jana'Kiva for posting that! I was just looking at various alcohol paints today, and live in the San Antonio area which can get really hot! So glad to hear it worked out well. Your picture looks great.

There are no places to buy paint locally here...and everything has to be shipped ground. So, I really seem to need to plan ahead!

Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 pm

detenten wrote:
I am so pleased I helped someone out! ^_^

You sure did! A few more things that I liked about the Temptu vs. RC:

-The alcohol fumes in the Temptu didn't seem as strong. RC took my breath the first time I painted my face.
-Easier to apply an even base coat with a sponge/brush. RC dries SO fast that I had a hard time getting my base coat even somewhat even.

bethoid wrote:
There are no places to buy paint locally here...and everything has to be shipped ground. So, I really seem to need to plan ahead!

Their shipping time was pretty short. I received my paint about 6 business days after I placed the order. :)

Edited to add: Found that pure coconut oil removes the paint quite well....rub it in, let it absorb for a minute or two, then scrub off with a loofah or washcloth. Alcohol dries my skin out so bad, so having a remover that is an all-natural moisturizer was a plus.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

- Brand name: Mehron, Paradise Line
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: http://www.mehron.com/Paradise_Makeup_P ... _p/800.htm
- Cost: ~$10 per cake (at my local shop, more online)
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Water
- Application techniques you've tried: Sponge
- How long does it last? 1 day
- What problems did you have? Comes off if you don't seal with hairspray! Blending colors is difficult-- I watered mine down, blended them in a food processor, then baked the mixture at 250 degrees for several hours to thicken it up enough to paint onto my body. Ended up being a bit spotchy on my lekku.
- What did you really like about it? Gentle on skin, smells great, washes off SO EASILY!
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? about half a cake
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Very easy to remove, my favorite for one-night out
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? No, but it did take another 2 days for the green tint to come out of my armpits, lol!
- Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely.

Show below is Lime and Dark Green, mixed 2:1

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Follow up to Jana'Kiva review of Temptu Pro Dura paints (alcohol based):

Just received mine yesterday. They have super fast shipping, even with free shipping option I choose, I received in 4 days. We did have to sign for it though which was interesting. 4oz bottles were $31.50.

So far I am very happy with this paint! I tried it out in large swatches on my arms and stomach. I applied with sponge, followed by airbrush. Found if sponge was wet with alcohol first, it went on easier.

Was able to go in a rain storm with it with no problems, could get wet doing dishes and again fine. Slept in it and it still looked good the next day. Then today (day 2) went on my walk in very hot humid weather. One arm did good, the other I could start to rub off paint a bit. BUT really, really humid.

Removed easily with alcohol 91% or baby oil or the coconut oil worked great as well. Bonus with coconut oil is that works as awesome moisturizer and you don't have the baby oil smell.

I think my only downside is it seems to be much harder to mix colors then the water based paint. Probably because I am comparing the two it seemed harder. This paint took a LOT of white to get to the lighter shades, probably because they are a lot more pigmented then water. One interesting note, in my various experiments to get my color, I did a darker swatch, followed by an airbrush layer of lighter on top and I really it. It seem to give some dimension to color. Going to try this for an event next weekend and see how it goes.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 pm

- Brand name: Snazeroo
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: UK based brand so various online sources. Shops that sell it - Hobbycraft.
- Cost: ~£3 per cake
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Water (or sealer)
- Application techniques you've tried: Sponge
- How long does it last? around 6 hours in non rub places, less than an hour in rub areas
- What problems did you have? You are stuck with the shade in the cake, it does rub off,on friction areas even if you activate it with Ben Nye Final Seal instead of water. needs to be sealed after applying too. I used Kryolan Fixier Spray as its an aerosol and gives a fine mist.
- What did you really like about it? Handy for short term costuming and when you need to be able to remove it easily with just wipes. Applies well with a sponge and covers skin well.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Only did my face and neck so hardly touched the cake(lekku were pained with Liquitex acrylics). A friend did a whole body with 2 cakes.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Very easy to remove, used makeup remove wipes and miceller water to remove
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? no, no staining with the blue (or grey my friend used) Comes off clothes in the wash or wiped off.
- Would you recommend it to others? no, there are better water based paint and , due to the rubbing off badly at friction areas. But it is very cheap and easy to get hold of here. so good in a push, last minute kind of thing

shot of me with the Snazeroo paints on, you can see it's rubbed off onto the collar.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Profile WWW

Brand name: Fardel Creme body paint
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: I'm UK based so purchased at http://www.screenface.co.uk/face-body-p ... -100ml.htm as i could check out all the colours at the London Branch. But believe brand is European so i think is available worldwide.
- Application techniques you've tried: Makeup foundation brush
- How long does it last? All day in non rub areas, 4 hours in high friction areas with minimum rub off.
- What problems did you have? Not a great deal apart from needing to check friction areas for rub off.
- What did you really like about it? Long lasting for water based, especially when sealed with Krylon Fixier Spray
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Only did my head and neck so not a great amount, about 2 ounces max for a head.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Its best to remove most with wipes then really get in to the skin with a cleanser cream or lotion as it can be stubborn in the pores.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? No staining of the grey paints i used. Comes off clothes easily.
- Would you recommend it to others? Yes, as water based makeup goes, it's one of the best, so if you need paint that's easy enough to remove for short term costuming, i highly recommend it. Lasts well even in the heat or wearing a hot costumes.

I didn't use this for a twi'lek, but here is an example of me wearing it (only my eyes are photoshopped)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

- Brand name: Ben Nye Magi-color Liquid paint
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online:I honestly cant remember. It's a US brand so was hard to get here in the UK.
- Application techniques you've tried: Makeup foundation brush
- How long does it last? hardly lasts an hour before it started to crack and shed on me
- What problems did you have? SO many! I always prep my (oily) skin before makeup..moisteriser, then hydration primer, then paint. Yet within an hour i found the paint was cracking around anywhere where the skin moved, so mouth, eyes, cheeks. it flaked off badly.
- What did you really like about it? Nothing.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Although i only did a face and neck i had to keep reapplying it so used up nearly half a bottle on that.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Very easy, that was its only saving grace.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? No staining
- Would you recommend it to others? OH NO NO NO.

a link to a picture of me in the makeup..you can see speckles on the cheeks of where my skin colour is showing through the blue..thats the flaking. i had repaired around the mouth at that point. Pretty much 2/3rds of the event was spent repairing it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemiss ... 297810216/

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 am
Profile WWW

- Brand name: Kett Aqua-Proof Color Theory
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online:US brand, My UK supply comes from here - http://www.gurumakeupemporium.com/epage ... ts/62-0008
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Alcohol
- Application techniques you've tried: Brush and airbrush
- How long does it last? All day, except around mouth, but i think that's me as i tend to purse my lips alot. Some wear off at neck near end of day (neck of costume was pvc so might simply have stuck to it as it was a very hot day and pulled off rather than rubbed off)
- What did you really like about it? Long lasting, didn't need any major touch ups. gave a great coat using airbrush ( only used brush first time because airbrush wouldn't work. Brushing on isn't recommended as it puts too much on the skin at a time and you waste alot of paint, plus feels unpleasant on the skin)
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? For a face, neck and head prosthetic,very little if using just one colour. I used 3 tones of blue so pre mixed them with a black and off white..so used about a bottle worth of blue between the 3 paints to create them. Hardly any of each colour was used on the face and prosthetic.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Not a quick removal. comes off with any remover made for alcohol inks. Also comes off with anything very oily like olive or coconut oil or at a push baby oil. Takes about an hour of soaking, massaging and rubbing to remove fully (for me that includes removing the glue from prosthetic too).
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? no staining at all.
- Would you recommend it to others? Yes, it is a really good airbrush paint. But it is expensive, especially with extra costs added by the UK stockist. As with any alcohol airbrush paint, you need alot of prep..like all hair removed off where you intend to spray, otherwise every hair gets coated with paint and looks like you have blue or what ever colour fur on your skin.

example of me in the makeup
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151509044796247&set=a.10151191387896247.463689.230667326246&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F181213_10151509044796247_347023238_n.jpg&size=532%2C800

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Great reviews, Sakara. I'm checking out your costume pics on Facebook now...absolutely gorgeous!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Thankyou! I've just bought some Reel Creations large pots to try as shipping the airbrush paints to the UK is really expensive and no one here in the UK stocks them. I hope to try Michaela's technique of crushing the cakes down and mixing with iso alcohol to make my own airbrush paints. I have had some trouble with Reel Creations, speaking directly to Tracey, although any issues she has sorted out quite quickly. I'm hoping the latest problem (of being sent the wrong colour) can also be fixed quickly!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next