View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Body Paint Reviews 
Site Admin

Unread post Body Paint Reviews
I'd like to hear about the different brands of body paint that everyone is using for your costumes. Share your experiences!

Here's some information that people often want to know:

- Brand name
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online
- Cost
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint?
- Application techniques you've tried
- How long does it last?
- What problems did you have?
- What did you really like about it?
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc?
- How easy/difficult is it to remove?
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom?
- Would you recommend it to others?

Pam :-)

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 am
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Body Paint Reviews
My answers as of 6/1/10

- Brand name: Mehron Liquid
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: Local costume/theater supply shop - also available through Mehron.com
- Cost: Under US$5 for a 4 oz bottle/apprx US$1.25 per ounce.
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint?: Water
- Application techniques you've tried: Sponge only, sponge under airbrush, airbrush only -- suggest the last in two light layers over clear foundation primer with SPF 25
- How long does it last?: 7+ hours in clement temperature conditions, 4+ doing kung fu/stunt fighting/high humidity or heat; best results under worst conditions were from airbrush only application technique.
- What problems did you have?: If I sweat or the air is humid, the makeup may re-liquify and run.
- What did you really like about it?: Vibrant color without being cartoonish, EXCELLENT color reliability both for skin and the latex appliance (lekku), no color change between the two surfaces.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc?: At this time, I only do my arms from the elbows down, my neck, chest, throat and face - all airbrushed (two very light layers) it uses less than a quarter ounce.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove?: Very easy if I step into the shower with a bar of soap and a loofah.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom?: No, yes in some cases (I spilled a huge gob on a white T-shirt and didn't immediately stain treat it because I was on my way out the door) but not my costume or the upholstery, and no - as in I did not even need to do an extra topical cleaning of the tub after I washed.
- Would you recommend it to others?: Yes, with the advice that if you plan to be active enough to sweat, the alcohol-based ink is going to be more bang for your buck in the long run.

I should have reviews posted by the end of June for Dharma Trading Co.'s and TCP Global's temporary tattoo alcohol-based body inks. I've also ordered a sample pack from Reel Creations, but have nothing to add to Pam's info there. Reel Creations is spendy but IMO worth it if you have an airbrush.

Additional info in the interest of "your results may vary": My natural skin color is slightly sallow and very pale Caucasian white, so I may be getting more vivid or evenly-colored results with airbrushing alone than others will get.

Last edited by Nara Pel on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Brand name: Kustom Body Art Tattoo Paints
Sources for buying the paint locally or online: TCP Global Corp at Amazon.com
Cost: US$11.98 for 2 oz./under US$6 per ounce
Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint?: Alcohol
Application techniques you've tried: Sponge, airbrush; over various colors of 'Caucasian flesh' latex and my own skin
How long does it last?: Well, I applied it yesterday morning and it was still vivid today - without sealant
What problems did you have?: It's translucent color rather than opaque so if there is a big difference in the color of your lekku's base material and the color of your skin, you will need to blend custom colors to even this out.
What did you really like about it?: I washed dishes with it on my hands moments after it dried (under 3 minutes BTW) and there was no color change; inexpensive; decent color range; very 'natural' skin finish texture. THIS IS WITHOUT SEALANT! Yay! I might be able to skip a step! Also, dries very much the same color as it is in liquid form.
How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc?: N/A but based on my arms/hands it looks like it will take slightly less than the water-based liquids to give even coverage
How easy/difficult is it to remove?: Easy! Alcohol wipes = win. Very fast. Rubbing alcohol on a cheap kitchen sponge worked like a charm.
Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom?: No (though it did stain the dry skin around a healing cut - had to double clean that to remove the tint), no, and no.
Would you recommend it to others?: Abso-friggin'-lutely.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

- Brand name? Olive Branch Skin Care
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online:? Can be bought oline at
http://www.olivebranchskincare.com
- Cost? $14.00 for 4oz (they have 1/2oz-64oz from $4-$128)
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Water and alcohol
- Application techniques you've tried? Airbrush
- How long does it last? I did a test on my abdomen that I washed off after a day and it still looked good so could last longer.
- What problems did you have? No problems with the paint itself
- What did you really like about it? It dries quickly and doesnt rub off easily.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? I did the face and abdomen and it took less than 1oz
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? The water based is easy to remove with soap and water. The alcohol takes a lot more scrubbing.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? The overspray from the red paint did stain the sink but I was able to clean it up easily with soap.
- Would you recommend it to others Yes, tentatively because I havent used any other paint so I have no basis of comparison. Also, I've only practiced using/wearing the paint so I havent been outside at events with it on and the effect of weather and clothing rubbing against it etc is unknown.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:18 pm
Site Moderator

Second review for this product!

- Brand name? Olive Branch Skin Care "Long Lasting Alcohol Based Ink"
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online:? Online - http://www.olivebranchskincare.com
- Cost? US$18.00 for 4oz (NOTE the price increase since Kina's purchase!) or about US$4.50 per ounce - or, for me, about US$1.25 per application (not counting lekku)
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Alcohol
- Application techniques you've tried? Sponge, airbrush -- don't bother with sponge
- How long does it last? Claims up to 14 days. If I scratch really hard on one layer it comes off, but leaves skin raw. Holds up to soapy water and sponge (ie doing dishes)
- What problems did you have? Paint is translucent compared to some others I've tried - first coat is so thin it's invisible if you sponge it on. Not really a problem since it's designed for airbrush, but worth mentioning since Pam's method for inks suggests a first coat with sponge. IT DRIES A BIT SHINY and the instructions specify to do a light dusting of baby powder between coats. This and a top coat of powder give it a nice skin-texture glow. May require three coats for even color on skin vs appliance, though mine took only two (pasty pasty white skin, remember?)
- What did you really like about it? As Kina said, dries fast and stays on. Nice creamy texture, didn't make my skin itch as it dried. Doesn't stink as badly as other brands I've tried. Nice variety of colors. If one follows directions (...cuz... I totally read the directions first. Honest. Durp.) and applies powder between coats and on top, the finish is very believable like natural healthy skin.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Looks like my forearms, hands, neck, face, shoulders will take apprx 1/3 ounce - more than other brands because of the creamy texture to the ink, but still more cost-effective than Reel Creations, with a very comparable finish.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Alcohol-based ink came right off with rubbing alcohol and baby oil (mineral oil).
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? Not at all.
- Would you recommend it to others Yes, better color selection than the Kustom Kreations and slightly more spendy; less spendy than Reel Creations with near comparable color selection and results.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile WWW

- Brand name: Ben Nye Magicolor Liquid Paint
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: sillyfarm.com
- Cost: $5.00/1 oz. $16.00/4 oz.
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? water I think
- Application techniques you've tried: sponge
- How long does it last? 5 to 8 hours, maybe longer if applied correctly and with sealer
- What problems did you have? Rubs off where meets clothes, slightly difficult to even out, feels a little grainy if you accidentally sponge too much on and it dries that way
- What did you really like about it? Was easy to apply with sponge, especially since I have no airbrush or anyone to help me paint myself.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Less then one ounce for face, neck, top of chest (for Talon)
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Water and soap get most of it, but easy to miss spots. Never tried makeup remover or alcohol to remove it.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? Got some on curtains but never tried to wash it off, lol. Doesnt stain bathroom.
- Would you recommend it to others? If you dont have an airbrush or helper, and want something easy, yes. But it is by no means as good as some of the more top notch airbrushing paints which others have tested.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

- Brand name: Totally Tatoo
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: Dharma Trading Company
- Cost: $8.55 per ounce
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Alcohol Based
- Application techniques you've tried: Sponge (It seemed awful thick for airbrushing.)
- How long does it last? All day, in theory. We didn't leave it on that long.
- What problems did you have? The paint was rather thick, tended to form a nasty skin on the top after a few minutes, and seemed grainy. It also took a really long time to dry, and stayed slightly tacky even when dry. The white was more of an off-white creamy color than a pure white.
- What did you really like about it? Not much. Uhm... pretty colors?
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Only did a spot test.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Very easy with alcohol.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? Nope. It even cleaned thorougly off the tile grout.
- Would you recommend it to others? Not really. It seemed cheap. For a few dollars more, you can get better stuff.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:08 am
Site Admin

- Brand name: Reel Creations Body Art Ink
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: reelcreations.com
- Cost: $12.50 per ounce.
- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint? Alcohol based
- Application techniques you've tried: Sponge first, then airbrush to even. Also airbrush alone, which takes longer but makes for a thinner coat.
- How long does it last? Days! I once didn't bother to take the paint off my feet after an event, and a week later I still had blue feet even after multiple showers and days of wearing both shoes and boots.
- What problems did you have? Running out of money to pay for it! The fumes from the paint really sting my eyes and nose while the paint is applied.
- What did you really like about it? It's perfect. The colors are great, and they stay on amazingly well.
- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc? Usually about 2 or 3 ounces for Aayla, and 5 or 6 ounces for a full-body paintjob.
- How easy/difficult is it to remove? Moderatly easy, but time consuming. Rubbing alcohol and baby oil work, but the remover sold by Reel Creations works better. You first use remover, and then use a good soap lather to remove the oily residue. The oily residue has to be cleaned out of the tub afterwards, too.
- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom? It can stain fabric while wet. Once it's dry, it doesn't come off on anything. You can even wear white clothing, and everything will stay white.
- Would you recommend it to others? Most definitely. This is all I use anymore!

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:22 am
Site Moderator

Nara Pel wrote:
Second review for this product!
- Brand name? Olive Branch Skin Care "Long Lasting Alcohol Based Ink"

Update on this: Applying it in a really warm and humid environment seems to make the surface a bit tacky, so you CANNOT skip the step of dusting it all with baby powder/setting powder. :( We had an informal daylong class for Long Island Jedi yesterday, for the people who weren't able to be with their fathers, and I learned this when showing people how to apply body makeup with an airbrush. (You'd be surprised how many people are intimidated by screwing some tubes together and pressing a little button - but giving them some hands-on time seemed to fix this.) Anyway, it was 89F and VERY high humidity, and the Olive Branch was fine after the baby powder was applied, but it's good to know for people who plan to use this paint in, say, Florida.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
- Brand name: Totally Tatoo
- Sources for buying the paint locally or online: Dharma Trading Company
- What problems did you have? The paint was rather thick, tended to form a nasty skin on the top after a few minutes, and seemed grainy. It also took a really long time to dry, and stayed slightly tacky even when dry. The white was more of an off-white creamy color than a pure white.
- What did you really like about it? Not much. Uhm... pretty colors?
- Would you recommend it to others? Not really. It seemed cheap. For a few dollars more, you can get better stuff.

I have nothing substantial to add to Pam's review of this product. Usually Dharma Trading Co. has great stuff, but this is pretty nasty. I tossed my test bottle out, but keep my Mehron Liquid makeup in case of emergencies. Thass rite, this stuff isn't good enough to be kept as a spare.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next