View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
"Emergency" airbrush gun 
Site Moderator

Unread post "Emergency" airbrush gun
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml ... 0#moreInfo - for US$22 the airbrush gun is a great, great, great make-up kit addition. Forget the liquid it comes with, though, unless you're seriously into fake'n'bake. It smells terribad and looks too yellow/orange IMO.

I have only tried this with alcohol-based paint, and found TCP Global a tad thick so I added a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol and then it was great. I'm going to test it for NYCC and see if it delivers as well as a full airbrush rig. Will keep people posted and add pics.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: "Emergency" airbrush gun
I'm very interested in hearing how this works out. I've been wanting a small "backup" to take along in case my air compressor ever fizzles out at a convention, and that sounds like a potential winner.

Thanks for sharing!

Pam :-)

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 am
Site Moderator

I'll get photos up; gave one of these to my friend who was super intimidated by the 'aircraft engine' (ie my normal spray rig) compressor. She used this other airgun for NYCC and loves it. She's now a convert to airbrushed make-up, and it was her first experience with handling an airbrush.

I have to say that using it, by far, was my most pleasant 'airbrush your own self' experience ever. For painting someone else, large jobs (full body painting, fine detail work requiring an adjustable nozzle, or painting large appliances such as lekku or Klingon foreheads) I will still use my normal rig, but just for travel and single-color paint jobs I'll be using this. I dropped my make-up time from 25 minutes to about half of that.

Lots of control, large area coverage, even application.

My friend's photos will give a better idea of what the airbrush can do since her color is a rich cool pink, and you'd be able to see streaks or other issues more clearly than pale yellow on a sallow complexion.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I am very interested in this! :)

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 am
Site Moderator

Horrid photo of me but the lighting is unforgiving so you can see how the makeup was after nine hours. Nothing says "Jedi" like having a shopping bag slung over your shoulder.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

My friend, previously referenced. They have a really high-def photo they haven't scanned yet from the C6 booth that I want to get posted.

Better quality:

Please keep in mind that the lady in question is 4'8" and didn't realize that she was asking for a picture with Pedo Bear. /sigh She just thought he was a giant teddy bear. Her husband says she actually chased him down to get the picture. We still haven't told her what Pedo Bear is.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Those pics and the makeup look really good! Aside from being non-natural colors, both of your skin tones do look "natural". :)

I ordered the airbrush gun from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. I'm hoping to use it Saturday for Boo at the Zoo.

Last Sunday, I had to do without the airbrush b/c my poor exhausted husband was sleeping when I was getting ready early that morning, and I didn't have the heart to make all of that noise. I had to sponge everything. I think it came out pretty well, but it was definitely too thick.

This appliance seems much quieter. I agree that the full airbrush/compressor is needed for lekku, etc. but I'm glad you shared about this!

Question: Did you still sponge on the base coat, or did you use the airbrush gun only?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 am
Site Moderator

Kryy Jacobi wrote:
Question: Did you still sponge on the base coat, or did you use the airbrush gun only?

Airbrush only. Isn't it amazing? Money well-spent, IMO.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Oh, I should mention that the bottom of the feeder hose has a fine mesh filter on it that slows application - I deliberately punctured mine immediately for better results.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

Both of your paint jobs turned out really well! I wonder if it would also work with the water-based paints thinned with final seal? It looks like it's on a great discount.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next