View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reel Creations for those of us outside the US XD 

Unread post Reel Creations for those of us outside the US XD
I know so many of you are in the same situation I am- not having access to AA based bodypaint :) I've wanted to give the product a good test before recommending it and possibly inundtaing the Blau's with emal requests for the stuff ;)

Reel Creations offers their inks evaporated into small kits and has done for a long time (bruises, etc.). They also offer small pots of colour and stacks of 10 of them.

After feeling super claustrophobic in PAX and just having zero luck with the usual paints (I think I have teflon cells) I emailed asking how far a single color pot would go and if it would be able to be shipped to NZ.

Quote:
Thank-you for your inquiry. We are about to make specialized color pots for various selected make-ups.
The first one we are going to pour is the Darth Maul colors. We have many requests for the Star Wars characters and we also have various liquid colors for them, however, since we are getting new color wheels, we'll be able to pour them upon request.

99% IA or especially SDA-40 190 grain (which is ethanol - no smell) is good for the application. Our Developer is made with SDA-40 grain with a bit of IA to satisfy the Alcohol Tobacco Firearm (ATF) requirements so you'll be good to go.

Right now I would suggest that you get the small color pots, however the shipping might be another issue. All I can do is try to figure out the the U.S. postage (which will probably be the most economical), hope that the price is right and that it gets to you. Your best bet will be to order 2 or 3 of each color then I can put them in a padded envelope and figure out the postage. You can apply the colors with a brush (round barrel red sable - size #16 to #20 -best) and they will be intense provided that you dissolve the colors properly.

Thanks again,

Fred Blau
President

So I decided to wait a bit and lo and behold I got another email:

Quote:
Dear Michaela,

Just wanted to let you know that besides the small color pots, we have now made available a large single color palette with the Darth Maul colors being available. It contains 2 times the amount of ink you would normally find in our regular palettes and 6 times more than a color pot. The are $12.50 each color*. Hope you are well. Thank you.

Tracey Blau
Reel Creations, Inc.

* New price reflected on their website.
I had sent photos of my Sith Togruta to explain the base colours I wanted as I figured I could tint and mix to match Shaak Ti.

I'll do a review under the reviews section but I wanted to make sure everyone got a chance :) Even accounting for shipping and the exchange rate this works out not much different to a pot of commonly available paints here in NZ.

I suspect one palette will do at least one full body application. If not two. I plan on dissolving one full pallete and using it as an actual ink.

- Brand name
Reel Creations Single Color Palette

- Sources for buying the paint locally or online
You will have to email Fred and/or Tracey via the website (let them know I sent you, just so they know the months of emailing with this single customer was worth it!) The page is now up and live!

- Cost
$US16 each palette (it went up) plus shipping which is pretty low as these are very light and non liquid.

- Is it water, oil, latex, or alcohol based paint?
Alcohol Activated, but evaporated down to a solid.
Please note! You must use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol or higher or over 90% ethanol. If not your paint will curdle. You should be able to rescue it but only by evaporating off every last drop of liquid as the various liquids and solids will separate and evaporate at different times.

- Application techniques you've tried
~Wide filbert (foundation style) brush. Isopropyl Alcohol spritzed on to the palette and the brush used to mix and take up the particles. Smooth finish, to shade and add line details you will need to use some IA with the next layers.
~Fully revived in a bottle of IA and brushed and sponged on. Sponging gives less coverage and absorbs a lot of paint.
~Minor test with revived ink in an air brush and an air gun. This gives a slightly rougher surface than sponging.

- How long does it last?
All day at a hot crowded venue. My shoulders even stayed mostly intact after wearing a backpack. Small flakes come off at folds (knuckles, armscye) but mostly it stays intact.

- What problems did you have?
Only the usual brush marks. You can't make a truly opaque red due to the amount of colour pigments needed. Mostly helped by brushing upwards.
Others have had the issue with both inks and pots of not using 90% or higher IA or Ethanol. This is vital. This is why it does not move or trasnsfer- it is not water soluble so the more water you have in you mix the more likely to curdle in ink form or be a very weak paint stroke from the pot direct.

- What did you really like about it?
No mess! The fact that I can get it shipped here within days! No customs inspecting it looking for the alcohol! The colour!
Everything.
Also I didn't use a sealant and the texture is not too shiny at all.

- How much paint did it take to do your arms/legs/torso/face, etc?
These palettes are solid and as such I can't really compare to inks. However I can't really tell that I have used enough to do my arms to mid-forarm, face neck and shoulders. I used about 25ml IA though and some of that was for clean up. I do suspect one pot will do at least a full body application (think Oola) if used carefully. And given there is no waste when you use it as a paint it's very easy to not waste it.

- How easy/difficult is it to remove?
Considering how well is lasts it is remarkably easy to remove:
Hands: facecloth/cheesecloth and hot water and soap.
Neck and upper body: ditto but also spritzed some IA.
Face: Baby wipes. A little IA and a little Isopropyl Myristate as I used it to remove the PA holding my baldcap in place.
I also used some YSL Cleanser/Toner as it is lightly astringent and slightly oily. And a lot of moisturiser too.

Baby wipes are the best pro tip I ever got. Whatever else you use as the primary remover the Babywipes after will cut back on the oil (eg baby oil or Ispropyl Myristate) and replenish if you have striped the oils (soap, IA etc).
Beware though. I left a baby wipe in my pouch and so the paint came of the tips of my fingers every time I reached in and showed my fancy pants new paint to people ;)

- Does it stain your skin, clothes, bathroom?
Red of any kind has a tendency to stain. Just ask anyone who has done home dyeing what the worst colour is. Even commercially dyed red clothes/towels etc.
But this doesn't stain. The red will transfer a little but as particles. The bonding agent is only disolvable with alcohol. I accidentally squirted liquiset on and wondered why on earth my paint wasn't working ;)
Okay and I was a bit of a smarty pants and showed how I could wipe the clean white tablecloth and not transfer paint ;)
If in a bathroom with marble tops the paint will be harder to move because the cracks and surface imperfections are rough so the paint grips easily.

- Would you recommend it to others?
YES!!! I plan on getting all the colours! No really, a couple of white, a yellow or two and blues galore so I can get my Asari headpieces repainted :) I still also have plans on sculpting a Chagrian so I want blues and greens for that.

You can feel that you have the paint on. Any paint that cures on the skin will. But it lies closer to the feeling of sealant rather than PAX!

The fact that it can be shipped, and is very inexpensive in this form means everyone now has a chance to use this product. And Fred and Tracey are lovely people :)

Red 2 is actually a great bright and vibrant warm red (scarlet rather than berry)
Please excuse the blurry photos:
Image Image
Please note the lighting and my camera have toned the bright scarlet red to this nearly perfect Shaak colour. I still have paint on my arms and can see the difference as I type.;)

Black makes a wonderful line marker and works well for Talon face tattoos. If airbrushed probably good for body tattoos too.

Last edited by neimhaille on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:32 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Reel Creations for those of us outside the US XD
I'm definitely interested in this :)

Is there a colour chart for the pallets on the Reelcreations site? I can't find any clear images of the colours :|

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:12 am
Profile WWW

The two ink charts here match up with the colour pots but I'm not sure how many are available in single colour palettes yet :) :
https://www.reelcreations.com/products/ ... h_inks.asp
https://www.reelcreations.com/products/ ... t_inks.asp
I tried adjusting my monitor colour but flame still looks like a salmon/coral pink on my monitor.

I am pretty sure the colours I need for Liara and Samara from the Mass Effect series are in the family of Blue 4 and Royal Blue (toned with white and black) but I am thinking of getting Vein in case I need a greenish tint at some stage.

I'm not sure just how different it will be to the inks in terms of flex when fully reconstituted, but I will also try and get the grain alcohol as the small amount of developer I have allows for a little more working time than the IA I have.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am
Profile WWW

Very very good, thanks neimhaille :D
What would be the colors for Darth Talon? I have also tried to adjust my screen but Flame is Coral in my screen :S

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:47 pm

I would say the same colours I got :):
Red 2 and Black 1

As they are the colours used for Maul and are the colours most sith tatoos have been based on :) I have seen the GG Talon mini bust and in real life the reds are very very close.

I will send another email to Fred and Tracey and ask them if there is a special term people should use when emailing to order them :) They are really lovely and busy people so anything to make their job easier and also get these products to others :)

I am going to get more red as I have a bee in my bonnet about breaking out my Sith Togruta again :) She uses more paint ;)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 pm
Profile WWW

I have just had some nifty success with this :) I cut up small pieces of my red and black and put them in a lipgloss quad container, mixed IA in and left it to evaporate over night. I now have a handy touch up kit of developer, and three of the colours I'll most use. I have another lipgloss container for my Asari colours :)

Also I sacrificed an entire palette to test for proportions of IA to palette. one handy 80ml "airplane safe" bottle and voila:

back row: bottle of RC palette in an 80ml bottle
middle row: mirror for quad lipgloss container, empty palette, palette of black
front row: lipgloss quad with black red and white, red palette

I am not sure how long it will take for the paint to fully dissolve. It is now a nice thin ink with big chunks of palette still so I think 80ml might be about right. I wish I could compare viscosity to the inks but it's not worth the risk of customs wrath ;) I already buy enough IA and acetone and little plastic baggies for my hobby to look odd.
Once the palette has fully dissolved I'll do an arm test for brush, sponge and airbrush. I already know sponge and brush work well directly on the palette but I'm hoping the airbrushing will be as easy.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 am
Profile WWW

Further testing in the name of science ;)

By the way I know RC is beloved already for the inks, but this is essentially to review the solid form and see how it performs :) Sometimes there is a difference, think of dried mushrooms and how they compare to fresh for instance ;)

So that palette I sacrificed. Funnily enough it does seem that allowing the paint to soak and dissolve over long time does affect durability.
When I paint direct from the palette I am able to use the edge of my fingernail to cut a very thin line while the paint I tested today was resistant even to that.
Image Image

The very thin line in the paint this time was with a safety pin. Pressure was not to the point of breaking skin, obviously, I'm not that much of a stunt tester, but it was difficult to get any mark.

Still relatively easy to remove: thick layer of cream moisturiser (cold cream type product) and then scrubby mitt with soap (Dove beauty bar actually ;) )

Image Image Image Image

I also wanted to test a paint brush as seen above. This is great for if you are in a hurry. It is a little streaky but as a base coat it works well.
I did notice streaks of the bonding agent so I need to give the mixture more time to properly dissolve as there are still little clumps of the cake.
So if you do go this route I'd recommend cutting and crushing the palette. I just cut it into strips and it is taking longer to form into a smooth ink.

I think the proportions of 80ml IA/Ethanol to one palette is good but I need to wait until it is fully dissolved (hopefully tomorrow) to be sure.
The paint on my hand was thicker than on my arm as I used the brush I was mushing the last of the palette with ;) but the difference in tone between photos is due to being out of direct sunlight in the first and in direct sunlight for the second lot. Also the photo of the paint in the cup and plastic lid were indoors with indirect light. I think the different colours in that one photo are due to contrast issues and how red is a difficult colour for digital cameras for some reason. they tend to go orange or pink ;)

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:27 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the review :D

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 am

I got to test it in an airbrush too XD So long as you are careful to filter out any undissolved bits it works beautifully :) It's harder to clean than acrylic ink which is what my only other foray into airbrushing has involved.

I think Fred and Tracey are a tad busy right now ;) But they should be able to process orders soon :)

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:02 am
Profile WWW

So I just got my invoice in the mail :) So I can update a bit better :) I have also asked what to specifically ask for when looking for these :)

So:

These are "Large color pots" and the same colours as their regular pots. So whatever colour is listed you can get that :0

The price is $15 each.

Shipping is at cost, so I actually got a few bits and pieces free :) The developer and the cost of the packing :)

So extremely highly recommended :)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next