View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Body painting with a sponge HELP!!! 

Unread post Body painting with a sponge HELP!!!
I haven't ever done any body painting and I don't have the budget to buy a air brush so I was wanting to use a sponge.Three questions.

Do you need a special sponge? If so where can you get it?

How do you apply it?

Can I use a sponge to paint my lekku?

Thanks for your help and support!

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Unread post Re: Body painting with a sponge HELP!!!
I just use a regular old triangle sponge when applying paint and dab it. don't streak it unless you plan to go back over with a second layer and dab to blend it all in. And yeah you can sponge paint your lekku, thats how I repaint mine :) Airbrushing helps make it look more blended but this way works too, as I had to sponge it on before getting an airbrush

Aayla Secura - In progress!

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you soooo much! This will help a lot! Maybe some day I can afford an air brush! :D

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, a dense sponge is best... that way it doesn't soak up (and waste) too much paint. (I tried a small sea sponge and it was a mess.)

An alternative to a sponge is a nice dense foundation brush like this one from Target:

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-kashuk-tools-synthetic-flat-top-multipurpose-brush-no-04/-/A-10806932#prodSlot=medium_1_8

It is a round brush with a flat end and the bristles are very soft and very dense.

You can read the reviews and see the mention of "an airbrushed finish"... well not quite with body paint b/c you're (typically) using a different color than your real skin ... but it does make a reasonably nice finish.

You need to stipple .... if you've ever done stenciling, it's very similar. Lightly dip the flat end of the brush into your body paint and hold the brush perpendicular to your face or neck or whatever. Then lightly and quickly bounce the brush on your skin to achieve your coverage.

You do need to take care not to get the paint too thick, or it will look caked and also not last as long.

You would still need either the small sponges or a small brush (like a flat oval "filbert" or angle brush) to fill in around your eyes. (Don't stipple there... be very careful!)

Experiment and see what works best for you. :)

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:37 am

Thank you for these answers they help A LOT!!! :D :D :D

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:13 am

I use these:

http://www.mehron.com/product_p/821.htm

They are available at a theatrical makeup shop where I buy my Mehron Paradise for $3 (for 2 sponges).

They are great!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks I was wondering were I could get a sponge! :D

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 pm

If you use the triangle sponges you can pick them up at pretty much any supermarket or pharmacy that carries cosmetics. I thought they worked very well both for painting my Lekku and myself with Ben Nye, as well as a cream based face paint that I use when I'm only in costume for a short amount of time, or testing makeup.

I didn't like them as much for doing a base coat for reel creations though. They seemed to eat up much too much of that precious paint. Is there a better sponge for that, or am I just being thinking that it's eating up more of the paint because I'm more worried about conserving it?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 am

It also really depends on what kind of paint you are using :) They are best for water based or cake type make up ratehr than alcohol based :)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:40 am
Profile WWW

neimhaille wrote:
It also really depends on what kind of paint you are using :) They are best for water based or cake type make up ratehr than alcohol based :)

I used the Mehron sponges for both Mehron Paradise (water) and Temptu Dura Pro (alcohol). They do seem to "soak up" the alcohol paint but they worked really well for applying it. I don't feel I "wasted" much of it by using the sponges though.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next