View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
How Much Bodypaint do I need 

Unread post How Much Bodypaint do I need
Hello Everyone,

This is my first year cosplaying as a Twi'lek and I need your help!

I am creating my own character (from the MMO Star Wars the Old Republic) and I am unsure how much body paint I need.

I plan on using RC Red #2 and here are my questions:

1- would it be bright red enough or would it look orange? I want to look similar to Darth Talon (note I have very pale skin)
2- I plan on painting my lekku, face and hands with this color, so how big a bottle would I need (don't want to waste too much money ><)
3- How much remover do I need?

thank you!

Cosplayer, Wife to be, Awesome person
A-Okay Cosplay

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Unread post Re: How Much Bodypaint do I need
It's a semi opaque (so a little translucent) and very much a perfect sith red- it's the colour used for Maul and so the red that all sith are based around :) I know in SWTOR though the red is much deeper (my Inq is a Talon wannabe and she is much darker). It layers incredibly well even with that slight translucence (it really is subtle).

Are they Pam's lekku? My lekku are longer and I used the equivalent of at least one bottle on my oversized set, less on my mid length set. I painted then airbrushed (my airbrush has a max diameter of about 3cm or just over an inch which means it is better for evening up than for full coverage but it also doesn't overspray too much.)

Face and hands are minimal :) I think I managed my movie version of Shaak Ti with just a 10ml sample of their solvent and brushing from a color pot.

I think Pam would be better able to comment on amount needed for her lekku :)

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: How Much Bodypaint do I need
It's hard to judge how much paint you will need because it depends on how much body area you are painting, how much experience you have, and how thickly you put the paint on. The more practice you get, the less paint you will need each time. (Thin paint stays on much better than thick paint.) Don't forget to paint at least several inches past the area that you think you need to paint because clothing shifts and puckers as you move, revealing areas of unpainted skin along the neckline, sleeve edges, etc!

I would guess that an Aayla style paint job takes about 3 ounces, a full-body paint job takes about 6 ounces, and the lekku take about 2 ounces for somebody who is pretty new to body painting. That's a rough estimate, though... and it's best to have extra paint on hand, because it's really stressful to be painting yourself for an event and realize that you're not going to have enough paint!

I buy a lot of paint at once because I mix the colors, and bigger bottles are much more economical in the long run. Getting small bottles over and over again really adds up to a lot of shipping fees! I advise you to paint yourself once just for practice before you go to an event. Learn how to use the paint, learn how long it takes you to put the paint on, and learn how much paint you need for one application. Then, while your 're all painted.... use the opportunity to take some posed costume pictures with a great background! That way you'll feel a lot calmer and have a lot more fun getting ready the first time you wear the costume to an event, and you'll have well-lit photos that don't include a con badge, or a bearded guy in a Sailor Moon costume standing in the background!

It really doesn't take very much remover at all, no more than an ounce at most, but again that depends on the person and how they go about the process. I tend to use less. You put a bit on a cloth and use it to "smear" the paint about. (No water yet.) All it does is liquefy the paint, and then you use soap and water to remove the oily paint after that. But again, it's better to get a larger bottle and spend less on a single shipping fee than to buy just an ounce or two over and over again!

Pam :-)

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]