View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Zippers in Star Wars? 

Unread post Zippers in Star Wars?
Is there any proof for the existence or lack thereof of zippers on clothes in Star Wars? I can't remember seeing any in the movies. Do the Rebel Legion and the 501st frown on obvious zippers on costumes? I'm using pictures of this dress as my base design and modifying it somewhat:
http://www.adiradance.com/dance_costume ... Dress.html
If you look at the alternate views, you can see the dress has a very obvious back zipper...Any suggestions?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Zippers in Star Wars?
Hi,

We try (501st and RL, and most likely the other clubs as well) to avoid or disguise zippers as much as possible, because you really don't see them in the movies. Some people even make a big deal about zippers on boots, and try to avoid them or get well-hidden zippers.

The easy solution to zippers on clothing is the use of invisible zippers. They work REALLY well. I've been using them for so long now, I can barely remember how to sew regular zippers anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzVLRsoOVzY

Pam :-)

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Zips are used, but they are used in ways that they are not obvious. Two very clear examples are:

Padme's geonosis arena boots. They have heavy zips up the inside but the greaves wrap over them so we don't see more than 10cm of them and we don't even know how tall the boots are. The zips are "hidden" in that the zip is sewn with the raw edges of the leather butting- you don't see the zip but you know it is there by the way the boot has a vertical slit wth stitches either side ;)

Aayla's boots zip up the inside but her boots are so dark you don't see them on fim and they can be hard to make out in the low res publicity shots. Even without seeing the zip you know they are there because the boots fit so close to the ankle (and clearly are solid not stretchy). She also has an invisible zip up the side of her shirt but it is hidden fully by the leather vest.

There are zips up the front of all the jumpsuits in the OT (rebel fighters, TIE pilots, Leia's Hoth suit) but again they are hidden behind plackets. You know they are there because of the technique used but can't see the zip itself.

Imperial Officer uniforms also have zips in the breeches but again hidden by a fly.

TKs must have a zip somewhere for their undersuits, or use shirts and pants which have a habit of separating.

So it's not true there are no zips in SW they are just used in ways that you know they have to be there but so you don't see them specifically. Invisible zips for holding very fitted clothing together, flied for pants, plackets for semifitted/loose jumpsuits, lapped for footwear and covered by other layers where needed. I suspect Sheltay Retrac's dress is zipped up the back ad the cloak covers it. You need fastenings the full length from neck to hip for a dress that fitted and a zip is the best option.

The dress posted should not have a zip that big in the back in any case. That should be an invisible zip as they tend to be lighter so you don't get that bagging down the back.
With an invizible zip you mostly then will need to think of a way to zip the zip pull. For my Mara there is the cowl to cover it, for a dress like that you may use a snap to close some extra trim over the top.

Oh yeah, but yes officer boots are not zipped ;) It's not a case of one suits all ;) There are certan looks for certain group costumes (officer books, TK boots, TD boots, Clones..... officer, Han, Rebel Pilots...)

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:42 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks so much for the replies... And that YouTube vid is very helpful. I'll likely use a hidden zipper like that. I may also move the zipper under one of the arms instead of having it run straight down the back

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:07 am

I know this post is kinda old... but I had the same question recently.
Yes, there are zippers in Star Wars, but as said before, usually they are hidden.

In Empire Strikes Back Luke is getting dressed before leaving the medic on Hoth. He zippes his flightsuit :-D
(at least I think it was his flightsuit... anyway, there's a zipper and you can actually see it in use!)

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 am

I will probably get some backlash for this, but I'm making a new dark side twi'lek and the corset I fell in love with to wear for her has a zipper all the way up the front. I'm going to flaunt a zipper and I'm hoping folks don't hate me for it!

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]