View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
polyester fabric dye 

Unread post polyester fabric dye
Has anyone used Jacquard iDye for polyester fabric (or a similar product)? I found the perfect fabric but in the wrong color.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 am

Unread post Re: polyester fabric dye
I got iDye For Polyester Fabrics from http://www.dharmatrading.com I didnt use as directed so I'm not sure how potent it actually is when you do it right, but it dyed fairly well for what I needed it for. I used black to make red fleece a little darker. Also used blue to dye the fur on my snowbunny cape.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You know, I've been meaning to set up a Twi'lek costuming forum for years, but it took forever to get around to actually putting one together. I'm really regretting all that lost time now, because it seems like I learn something new with every post! I never noticed that Dharma (or anyone else for that matter) carried dyes for polyester fabric. Way cool.

Thanks for teaching me so much, everyone! I love this!

Pam :-)

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:01 pm

from what i have been reading it seems that the process of using polyester dye can be hazardous on your fabric. It basically requires boiling your fabric with the dye for an extended period of time. The results apparently are different for each fabric and some fabrics just wont hold up to the process. You also might want to go acquire a Good Will pot for the boiling as its most likely going to ruin any cookware that you use - and always remember to test a swatch first.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Pam, I am so happy you made this forum. Because it is always so tedious going through the force.net or Rebel Legion boards for just Twi'lek stuff! I tell everyone I know who does or is going to do a Twi'lek costume about this forum. :)

Kulu, yep, definitely need a separate pot for dying and testing first is always good. I didn't have a problem using the idye on fleece or the fur, but I imagine more delicate fabrics it could be problematic as you said.

Just in case anyone needs to know, I dyed everything outside, I boiled water in kettles and pots, then poured it in a tub I had outside (I was dying Spartan 300 capes to make them battleworn) so I needed more room then a tiny pot of water or tiny kitchen! As I said, it was good for my purpose because I did not want them entirely black, I just wanted them to look darker then the original 'chili red' color and aged.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile WWW

I used their red to dye a polyester satin white sash from Goodwill. Mine came out lighter than I wanted (pity it didn't stay the color it was while it was boiling lol), so definitely test first if you can.

Actually I find their little blurb on the site sums it up nicely just from my own very limited experience with it:
Pros: Quick, easy, economical for small dye jobs, don’t have to buy extra chemicals, don’t have to handle powders, behaves like Deka L, additional 8 colors for Polyester and nylon! Results are even and not streaky.
Cons: Needs hot water, less brilliant and long lasting, may fade more than "professional" dyes, less color selection

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 am
Profile YIM WWW

I love this dye. I used it to dye sheer poly organza for my Kaylee Shindig dress bodice. It takes a lot of testing to get the color you want. I was mixing red and pinch of violet to get a pink/peach color. I was happy with the results, but it took about 5 swatches to get what I wanted. It will dry a lot lighter than it looks when wet, so be sure to dry your swatch as well to see the true color. I cut open the packages so I could mix what I needed in small batches for testing and did it on the stove top with the boiling method. Be sure you use a pot you will NEVER use for food (try a thrift shop for a cheap pot!) as it will be toxic if it gets into your food. I read reviews saying the washer method was no good, but boiling it worked great - I have to agree.

With a bit of patience and some testing, you can get this to work great.

Embroidered sheer on the bottom, left side is un-dyed fabric, right side is the iDye fabric. It took the color beautifully and has had no problems after cleaning and regular wear.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]