View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sewing Machines 

Unread post Re: Sewing Machines
I have a Kenmore that I've had for over 10 years but rarely use since I'm really not that great at sewing. It works okay but I've never used it to sew really heavy fabric so I dont know how it would hold up if I did.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Happy happy joy joy! My boyfriend fixed it and it sews like butter. Woot! That was a looong two weeks. Now I will be able to start Miela in addition to a plethora of other projects and finishing some. :D

I'm not going to sew heavy fabrics anymore on it though. It's too nice a machine to risk it breaking again. Will look into finding backup whether yard sales, craigs list as suggested or buying a new one. We'll see.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

Old Elna, Janome or Husquvarna machiens from the 1960s-early 1980s are ideal.

I have one of each ;) And they cover all three decades actually...

And in fact a Singer Featherweight would be such a dream to own... sigh.

Basically an all metal body and internal workings and no compuyerised bits means you can actually mainatin and repair them yourself. I was able to mostly fix my Janome (Feed dogs stopped working because of a bit of the gear shaft not lining up properly- still can't get it to do reverse properly so I need to find the actual repair manual) and I fixed the tension dial). Some need oiling some need greasing but it's usually pretty easy to tell which is which :)

I got my first second hand machine as a trade (Elna Lotus) and it has only needed maintainance once after a house fire (it's c1976). My second was my Husky c1960ish which had the manual and I was able to work out what bits went where. This sews through multiple layers of leather. I got it already restored from a sewing machine dealer. My last was a risk buy at a Salvation Army Store.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2