View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
satin 

Unread post satin
Im not going to have to finish my skirt before a con in a few weeks.
Is satin a fabirc used in Star Wars?
I have 4 different colors already and would really just make my life easier but dont want to look dumb either.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: satin
How screen-accurate are you trying to be? Because if you go by video games and the like, it seems very likely satin is a valid material choice. Definitely several KOTOR and KOTOR2 Twi'lek females seem to wear clothes made of satin or some other shiny fabric.

If you're going by the movies, I'd suggest you hit Wookieepedia and browse the senators, but usually satin photographs poorly - view half the entries at uglydress.com to see what I mean - so it's often avoided in film and television unless it's an accent or under-layer.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:23 am
Profile WWW

no screen at all just for my bellydancer.
thanks.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm
Profile WWW

Following from Nara: or made from silk or woven with a delustred surface- that photographs very well.

Check out the red silk satin dress in Moulin Rouge for how to Do satin ;) It's a heavy duchesse full lustre. The way it photographs is very different to the stuff usually used in budget costuming.

Silk charmeuse is another kind of satin used a lot as it too films well- usually bias cut in 1930s styles (used in Chicago for a few of Roxie's costumes). One of Padme's nighgowns is made from it. So there is a good example of use in world :) Polyester charmeuse doesn't have the same magic but it also drapes and photographs well. And it can be found in a lot of places. The best kind is a microfibre where you look at the back and really can't see the weave much at all it is that finely woven. It also tends to not crease as badly as microfibre was developed for use in suiting mainly.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]