View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
question about beading 

Unread post question about beading
so my sister is doing the accessorizing and decorating of our twi'leks and she wanted a symbol or something that would tie 3 rather different costumes together. is there any images of any symbol, or beading on a dress or such? she could only find the slave symbol, but were going for a more Indian/gypsy look. does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might help her?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 am

Unread post Re: question about beading
there isn't from what I've been looking at. (if I'm wrong, someone please post a picture so we can all see it) what you could do is find a symbol all of you like and incorporate into your costumes, or break a symbol down to 3 basic parts and each of you have a piece of it, in either way your "group" would only be complete if you were all together.

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 pm
Site Moderator

When Aayla was undercover, one of her headdresses had a decoration on it that was a small circle with a crescent on either side like this:

)*(

except the * was in the middle, not the top. And I could swear I've seen it in the comics on background twi'leks before, but I couldn't tell you exactly where.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

LOL! We were both backwards! When you mentioned that headpiece design, I remembered it as )*( also. But apparently it was (*).

I so love that outfit....

Pam :-)

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 pm
Site Moderator

So it is! My comics are all in a box and I was too lazy to check the gallery. Sorry to be misleading!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm those are very interesting, a little to plain for what were going for but interesting non the less. Nara I see in your Profile pic that there is a symbol of sorts on your head peace, did you design that your self or did it come from a reference source? also do you have a close up pic of it? I would like to see what it is.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Site Moderator

Padme, it's inspired by Egyptian sun-scarab designs and made from cellulose clay which I mostly finger-sculpted and then used a Dremel tool on for finer details. The center has a large flat bead that looks like hammered copper, I chose the bead with about half 'light' and about half 'dark' to reflect that Ryloth is supposed to always have half the world away from the sun.

I used nail polish to paint it.

I came up with the design because Twi'lek culture always makes me think of the divided-Egypt times (upper and lower, Nubia, multiple pharoahs, the dance, the slave-trade, all that).

It was sculpted on a head mold so I'd have a curve to the bead and it would 'lay flat' on my head when viewed from the side.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

PS, wait to do the dremel/buffing til the ornament is fully dry, at least 24 hours or up to 48 if you live on an island like I do. Otherwise your hand-sculpt crumbles. Once it's dry, though, it's very resilient.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pretty, pretty pretty! (All hail the queen of accessorizing and details!)

Pam :-)

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 pm

^Yes! Nail Polish, that is so cool. I would've never thought of that. Very creative!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next