View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Question about bodysuits... 

Unread post Question about bodysuits...
While I love the look of the full paint job for my Aayla, I'm thinking I should invest in a body suit for the shorter troops so I don't spend just as long painting and cleaning up as I do actually trooping... Plus it would be greatly helpful for those days when I have a troop in the morning, a soccer game mid-day, and a troop in the evening. As entertaining as it might be, I don't particularly relish the idea of going to soccer painted blue :lol:

So my question to you all is... Where's the best place to go for high quality bodysuits, and what kind should I be looking for? I heard that zentai bodysuits are good, but all the ones I've seen so far don't even have an opening for a face :? Do you have to cut out your own face hole? If you do, is there something you can do to make sure it doesn't fray where you cut?

Also, how do I match the color to my lekku? Ideally I want a body suit that is as non-obvious as possible, so I'm guessing I should get a nude color suit and paint it with the same paint as I usually use on my skin... Does that wear off though? Can I wash it without having to do touch-ups?

Okay so I lied, thats several questions :roll: In any case, any advice you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:39 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Question about bodysuits...
I got mine made to order - normal sleeves, mock turtleneck, detachable gloves and headmask/hood thing.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

try these folks http://www.pumpers.com/arquan/arcart/Pr ... uctID=2951 it's where I got my merc body suit

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm

test test and test again :) It depends on how opaque your paint is as to what kind of bodysuit you want :) I have had success with using low denier opaque tights, which when stretched over skin are not so opaque ;) Because my paint so far has pretty much been pigment in suspension which makes it translucent. So the tights and paint react to flash and light the same way as my own skin tones still reflect light back under each layer.
I know this was also used for a Mystique I saw a few weekends ago and it worked well for her too.

Given you have an opaque paint you may want to invest in an opaque suit or you may even find say a white/offwhite suit under a semisheer stocking type fabric will work.

Best to get precoloured or to dye to colour- nylon does dye well but is best with heat like any protein fibre- not use your paints. They will soak in and change the texture of your suit. Airbrushing will help though as the particles generally don't get in and soak the fabric.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:22 am
Profile WWW

Zentai suits are fantastic custom made on ebay, you can go the option of a hood or not depends on the people you go with. Colour can be an issue but if you can get it as close as possible to your colour in most photos the blues will blend. *finds picture to show you*

This one is a good one when i 1st time i did my Twi'lek (the paint is a different brand to what i use but still bloody close)

My one suggestion that is always a good idea no matter how short the troop, get a bathroom zipper installed trust me its a life saver !

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:24 am

Katie - Those guys look nice for fabric matching my paints, but they don't quite have the coverage I was hoping for... They also seem to have a bit more obvious seams than I was looking for, but that could just be the drawing they have rather than an actual photo. I'll keep them in mind though :)

Luciferian - Is something like this what you mean? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unitard-Lycra-S ... 84b7bf1a1f

Their blue is really far off from mine though, so I'm guessing I'd be stuck getting the nude version and airbrushing my paint onto it. Does lycra accept airbrushed alcohol based paint well, or would it rub off a lot? I have no idea how translucent or shiny it might be... It's the only option I've found on ebay or amazon so far though.

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Last edited by Luananeko on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm
Site Moderator

The fabric takes the paint fine, and it stays on *til you wash it*. Then it seems to be all about repainting the suit.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
The fabric takes the paint fine, and it stays on *til you wash it*. Then it seems to be all about repainting the suit.

Ooo, thats good to know. Depending on how stinky I get and how liberal my febreeze usage is then I might be able to get more usage before needing repainting without sacrificing hygiene. Does hand washing or dry cleaning help the paint stay on longer, or does it not matter?

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 pm

dry cleaning would take the paint out

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Rats... I don't suppose you can heat set alcohol paints like you can fabric paint?

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next