View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Question about bodysuits... 
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Question about bodysuits...
Not that I'm aware, sadly.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Update on the bodysuit saga... While the bodysuit I found on ebay was the right kind of suit, I initially ordered it too large. Since it costs more to ship back to the UK than it cost to buy a new suit, I ordered a second, smaller suit. Unfortunately, I didn't order enough dyes to properly dye it, so the first attempt at dying the suit came out looking like... what was it Aysel's husband said? I was "playing Dexter with smurfs"? Plus the flesh tone of the suit actually made it harder to match my lekku paint colors since the dyes for the suit are translucent as opposed to the opaque alcohol based paints on the lekku. Rather than trying to re-dye the suit when it had the rather... *cough* uneven... base layer and still fight the off base color, I ordered yet ANOTHER suit, this time in white, along with a gallon and a half of dyes. Aysel managed to get the dyes mixed to the proper color so we could dye it, but unfortunately the rayon/spandex mix that the suit is made of combined with how free flowing the Dye-na-flow dyes are has made getting an even color exceedingly difficult...

When the suit first came out of the dye bath the suit looked great, even and perfect color. But when I hung it to dry and came back a few hours later to check on how it was drying, it looked like a lot of the dye had drained out of the suit, leaving it horribly streaky and tie-dye-esque. Rather than let it finish drying and have the uneven color set, I put it back in the dye bath to leave overnight while trying to figure out the best way to fix it...

Anyone have any ideas how to get the dyes to stay put? I thought about laying the suit out flat so the dye doesn't run off, but I think it will still tend to pool and puddle in any creases and end up with the same result. The only way I can figure it will work is if I dye it and then try to dry it with a hair dryer to speed up the process so the dye doesn't have time to drain off the cloth... Has anyone tried that or is there another way to do this? Any insight is appreciated :)

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

well what I've done in the past with smaller items is to dip the garment in the dye, leave it for a little while, then run it under cool water and gradually increase the temp. to hot water till the water runs clear, and then let dry.

Repeat till you get the desired shade of the color you're trying to dye it. Since you're rinsing out any excess dye this prevents the streaking. However, a lot depends on the type of fabric you're trying to dye; i've never worked with spandex before :( Don't know if that helps or if you were already doing that to no avail

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am

Yep, that's the usual method for dyeing, but it turns out the dyes we're using aren't true dyes... Dye-na-flow is actually a fabric paint, so it doesn't matter how long we soak it in the color because the instant I put it under water all the paints start coming off :( After talking with Aysel on facebook, the current plan is to airbrush the paint on, and blow dry it as it goes on so it dries before it has time to move. *crosses fingers*

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm

The dye that I use is Rit, its really cheap and comes in a variety of colors. Their website even has instructions on how to mix different colors to make certain shades of custom colors

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:50 am

rit dye won't work very well on what she's trying to dye (synthetic fabric) I haven't heard back from her how her trying to airbrush the paint on worked out.

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Spandex only makes up about 10% at most of any stretch fabric. It is totally clear and you can see it if you look really closely at the back. It does not affect colour at all.
Rayon is extremely easy to dye as it is a plant based fibre. All that the process does is binds wood/cotton pulp. Chemically it is not very different from the source :) Synthetics are not all created equal ;) I do find it tends to be smoother and thus a little harder than cotton to get a vibrant colou

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/faq.shtml
Single best site I have ever found about dyeing all kinds of fabric and I think even plastics in there. I know people have used Rit to dye 12" dolls (found a Shaak Ti custom done this way).

But yes, dyeing will lay translucent colour over the base and not match an opaque paint. Though starting with a white bodysuit might work? I'd recommend testing swatches (if this is for Aayla you have the legs to experiment on ;) )

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I haven't actually tried the airbrush/blow dry method with the Dye-na-flow paints yet, as I kinda sorta maybe got distracted by getting my shiny new legacy on SWTOR for my republic server... Oops :oops:

I managed to wash out most of the paint from the white bodysuit, but unfortunately it did leave some blue streaks down the shoulders and on the head portion. If it really is only 10% spandex max, is it worth just skipping trying to fix it with the paints and using dye instead? I reaaaallly don't want to try and do the airbrush/paint only to find out it doesn't work and get a horribly mottled/streaked bodysuit and have to order yet another one... But then again if I don't use the paints I'll have spent over $100 on the paints just to have them not be used. Dilemmas :(

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2