View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Fabric dilemma - jersey matte (w/pic) 

Unread post Fabric dilemma - jersey matte (w/pic)
I bought a bunch of jersey matte for my sith cloak and skirt. I love it. In fact, it's probably my new favorite fabric. However, my problem is that I have no idea what to make the tabard and sash out of. My design is a Jedi-style cloak, tabard and sash, with a skirt, and likely a tight-fitting leotard or bodysuit in black underneath, so what I have so far are all synthetic fabrics (which I assume the sith would have no issue with...). My problem is that I went to the fabric store to try to pick the fabrics for the tabard and sash (and probably ultimately the headband as well, as I think it should match one of the accent fabrics) and I was totally uninspired. No fabric seemed right to pair with the jersey. The only thing that really even caught my eye was a black-on-black brocade, but I passed it over for being too ornate.

I'm wondering if the only suitable fabric to pair with jersey is jersey. Any recommendations would be appreciated. If I can at least narrow it down to a fabric, I might be able to find something online.

The cloak is half-done, but I'm working on it this afternoon and I can try to post a better pic tonight, but here's a photo of the unfinished - though pleated - back.

I just cannot pass up the drape I get from this fabric, but I'm not sure that the heavy drapeyness (it's a word, I swear) of the jersey would be appropriate for the tabard. I could possibly use the same fabric for the sash and headband, though.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Fabric dilemma - jersey matte (w/pic)
I'd say to go for the ornate stuff. Sith in TOR (and everywhere else) seem to do that; even Palpatine's Sith robes were highly textured.

If it's a question of drape - and I agree about that - what about stencils and fabric paint?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
I'd say to go for the ornate stuff. Sith in TOR (and everywhere else) seem to do that; even Palpatine's Sith robes were highly textured.

If it's a question of drape - and I agree about that - what about stencils and fabric paint?

Ooh stenciling the tabard would look really cool. I hadn't thought of that! Thanks! :)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 am

if you do a stencil, you may want to try to air brush the paint on, you'll have better coverage that way and less seepage

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]