View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Alcohol paint on a bodysuit? 

Unread post Alcohol paint on a bodysuit?
Has anyone tried using their normal alcohol based body paints over a bodysuit? I know it wouldn't last as long as a dye application, but I wonder if it would work well enough that I could paint the body suit the night before a troop, then just put it on and touch it up in the morning without having to wake up early or without having to sleep in my paints for those early morning events... I would hope it would last long enough to be re-used for a couple troops over a weekend (with touch ups of course) without requiring me to stay painted constantly in between...

What do you guys think? Worth a try, or doomed from the start?

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Unread post Re: Alcohol paint on a bodysuit?
Judging by how hard alcohol based paint sticks to fabric when I get a little carried away with the airbrush...I think it would be worth a shot! The bodysuit idea is definitely appealing as a way to cut down prep time.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Maybe try mixing in some additive that will help the paint adhere. I just painted a bodysuit for my Cats costume and added this stuff to acrylic paint to make it colorfast in the wash:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/ver ... ative.html

I would personally try mixing acrylics for the suit to match your body paint instead-- the alcohol paint is so expensive!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 pm

The alcohol paint is expensive, but it's also the same paints as what I use currently and what I used for painting my lekku. Attempting to color match an acrylic paint to the alcohol paint on my face & lekku would be pretty hard considering my lack of skill with color mixing to begin with... So the way I see it, if this does work it will still be less expensive than I would have been using if I didn't use the bodysuit :)

I do have the aqua sealer that Reel Creations makes that I tried for a while over my current Reel Creation paints... I've stopped using it for my normal paint jobs because it seems to make things too sticky so they tend to wear off faster, so the remaining amount has been sitting unused. Think that would make the paints adhere better to the bodysuit?

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 am

Luananeko wrote:
I do have the aqua sealer that Reel Creations makes that I tried for a while over my current Reel Creation paints... I've stopped using it for my normal paint jobs because it seems to make things too sticky so they tend to wear off faster, so the remaining amount has been sitting unused. Think that would make the paints adhere better to the bodysuit?

I don't think the sealer will make the paint stick to the suit. I think that Versatex stuff is a particular chemical, or some sort of voodoo magic potion. I'd experiment on small areas and see what works.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]