View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
pattern sizing 

Unread post pattern sizing
ugh!! how many times have i followed a patterns directions to a T and ended up with a tent when i wanted a tight fitting garment! Sometimes you can get a pattern on sale for 99 cents, sometimes you are stuck paying full retail (which can be anywhere from $8-$30). For most patterns once you pick a size and start cutting that's the only shot you get. if its too small you cant make it bigger and sometimes even if its too big the pattern lines crossed over in a way that you can no longer go a size down.

I had an epiphany when i was agonizing over what size to cut for this pattern

i paid $8 for an envelope full of tissue paper and did not want to mess this up.

I took my original pattern and laid it over the top of a blank piece of tissue paper. using a sharpie i traced along the lines of the original pattern piece in one size. when i was done tracing the ink had bled through to the tissue paper and i had a copy! I did this for the 3 sizes that "might" fit making sure to include all markings and labels (fold, center back, grain etc.) make sure to label all pieces with what pattern they belong to and which pieces they are.

here is my original (if slightly more colorful) uncut pattern (which was never cut)

and sizes 8, 10 and 12

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 am

Unread post Re: pattern sizing

For pattern sizing a cheaper way to do it is using newspaper or wax/freezer paper! lay your pattern down on top then do the biggest size FIRST then make one for each size. My sister and I did this to save the pattern we were using.

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

the reason that i traced this one out is that if you look closely at the picture the size lines overlap. so once i cut out the largest size all of the smaller sizes would be ruined. I traced the lines over some old leftover gift wrap tissue paper.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:38 pm

^_^ tissue paper works to, and I see that now i had to really look at it :D

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]